Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sweet Puppy

It is with a VERY sad heart that we announce that we have lost our Rocky. It all seems like a blur. It happened so quickly. Last Wednesday, Starkey called and was worried that Rocky just had a seizure. 24 hours and 5 seizures later, we were at the vet. He spent 5 hours and had blood work done. The diagnosis at that time was an infection. We were so relieved that all we needed was antibiotics and time!

Sadly, the seizures continued and his condition worsened. It was so hard for us to sit by and watch him suffer. 2 more calls to the vet, and we ended up meeting him on Sunday at 12:45. He wanted to do an x-ray and more blood work. I can't remember much after this. I remember a call, with Dr. Bortell explaining that his blood volume and hemoglobin have reduced, and his red blood cells were also lower. Our new diagnosis, Acute Anemia. His body was destroying his red blood cells. The vet wanted to keep him over night to give him treatments and to let him rest.

I got a call on Monday morning that he was worse and his condition was deteriorating. Starkey and I got to spend the next 4 hours petting and loving him. We had to make the ultimate decision for him. He was looing at us with sad eyes, and breathing took so much effort. After one final blood test, we had to say goodbye.

We feel like we have lost our first child. This was Starkey's first pet. It's hard not having my shadow behind me. I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in 9 years! I miss his shedding, his sneezing, his snoring, the sound of his nails, the hole he leaves in our couch, the way he kicked Starked all night, the feel of him on my legs at night. I just miss him.

March 15, 2001-April 12, 2010

4 comments:

The Cook's said...

Tears are flowing and thinking of all of you. It's amazing how something like this can hurt so much. Please let me know if you need anything and that I'm here if you need to talk. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Love you all. I get tears just thinking about it, my heart goes out to you.

Love,G-Bev

Unknown said...

I'm sooo sorry about this! Losing a pet is truly a member of the family!! It's obvious how much you all loved Rocky and did what was best for him. Hang in there!

Casey from future said...

2 years later maggie died also heart breaking